Global Fund for Widows
Global Fund for Widows launches 10 WISALA banks called Brookbank in Kenya
Annual Fundraising Gala
Join us for our virtual Annual Fundraising Gala on November 2, 2020 and help us empower widows!
“In the developing world, widows suffer 3 main violations of their rights:
- Prevented from inheriting her rightful assets, including things she herself brought into marriage or contributed during married years
- May become part of estate and inherited herself
- Prevented from accessing rights
- Prevented government entitlements
- No access to justice
- Social stigma, shame, & taboo
Harmful Traditional Practices
- Subjected to cleansing rites including cutting, and scarring
- Subjected to intense sexual violence
Without skills, support, or opportunity, widows often succumb to the viscous cycle of poverty. Some are forced into servitude or beggary, and those with children are forced to surrender them to an orphanage, to traffickers, to child marriage, or to the streets.
Where We Help
We are Building Banks!
“We are building small village banks called Widows’ Savings and Loan Associations – WISALAs – all over the world! We designed the the WISALA specifically for widows as not only beneficiaries of their banks, but as OWNERS of their banks. The widows’ self-determination is a central tenant. The widows themselves elect their leadership, determine the by-laws of their WISALA, and even underwrite their own loans. With income earned not only from the businesses launched by the WISALA proceeds, but interest and income generated by their bank, widows are able to earn a sustainable livelihood, break the cycle of poverty, send their children to school, and find their voice in society!”
JOIN OUR ALLIANCE
The Alliance for the Last Woman First is a global coalition of 100 organizations working to secure Widows’ rights. JOIN US!